Islamic Finance & Takaful
We have been continuously engaged and have advised on Islamic Finance & Takaful transactions for more than a decade and are one of the most experienced law firms in this area.
With increasing interests from individuals and corporations, we continue to play an active role in the shaping of Islamic finance instruments and products providing a deep and broad service. The Firm continues to build a large and commendable network of clientele wherein we now represent a range of institutions including sovereigns, corporates and banks, in which, key to the Firm's milestone are the unprecedented engagements to advise top-drawer Islamic financial institutions on structures beyond Malaysian shores. The Firm has also been invited to collaborate with regulators on issues geared towards Islamic finance solutions.
The Firm’s engagements feature the development of bespoke Islamic banking products and solutions involving hybrid and complex financing structures. Some of our innovations involve working alongside renowned Shariah scholars, local and abroad, to ensure compliance with the perennial Shariah parameters. Several unique instruments combining Islamic and conventional hybrid facilities have been successfully approved by our client's respective Shariah Commitees.
Our Islamic Finance & Takaful practice is headed by Edham Reza Shah Bin Dato’ Abdul Rahman. The recent landmark cases since Affin Bank Berhad vs Zulkifli Abdullah era has drawn the attention of major financial institutions and in the spirit of promoting greater interest and deeper understanding of Islamic finance, the Firm has invested continuous effort in clarifying the underlying issues posed in Islamic Banking cases and documentation.
Our services include:
- Al-Ijarah Thumma Al-Bai (AITAB) and Ijarah financing
- Bai Bithaman Ajil (BBA), Murabahah and Tawarruq financing
- Islamic mezzanine and structured financing
- Islamic transaction dispute resolution
- Istisna’ and Salam financing
- Musharakah Mutanaqisah financing
- Mudarabah and Mushakarah financing
- Project finance – either wholly Islamic or multi-tranche
- Shariah- compliant asset financing
- Sukuk issuance
- Takaful and Re-Takaful matters
- Conversion from conventional to Islamic financing instruments
- Sell down or transfer of debt under Islamic facilities
We do serve all Islamic Finance & Takaful products and documentation ranging from all areas of retail, commercial, captives, takaful and re-takaful along with corporate banking that includes investment banking, investment-linked deposit and wealth creation products.