Joint Managing Partner
Edham Reza Shah is one of the leading practitioners in banking and corporate advisory and Islamic Finance & Takaful matters. He has immense experience advising several financial institutions and investment banks including development financial institutions local and abroad. Edham undertakes a wide scope of works including syndication and club deal transactions, capital market and sukuk issuance, and other Shariah and Islamic Economy advisory services. He continues to advise on numerous corporate exercises in relation to cross border financing to protect Malaysian and clients’ interest abroad and familiar with various legal structures and framework abroad.
He has also led and developed the Firm’s practice in Islamic Finance & Takaful and have been advising many major Islamic Financial Institutions such as Maybank Islamic Berhad, SME Bank, MBSB Bank Berhad, , CIMB Islamic Bank Berhad, Kuwait Finance House (Malaysia) Berhad, EXIM Bank Berhad, Industrial and Commercial Bank of China, and several other notable Labuan and foreign based banks.
Upon his appointment as one of the Managing Partners of Abdul Rahman & Partners in 2017, his main responsibilities are:
- Heading the Firm’s entire Banking, Corporate, Real Estate and non-contentious exercise undertaken by the Firm;
- Looking after the Firm’s internal control mechanism on Administration, Finances and General Affairs;
- Consolidating and looking after the Firm’s Group HR and Operations among its network of branches including digitalizing the Firm’s practice;
He holds the triple distinction of being named as a Leading Lawyer by the global publication Islamic Finance News in 2009, 2011 and 2012. In 2012, he was also named in the categories of Asset & Fund Management, Corporate & Commercial and Cross Border. In recognition of his contribution to the Islamic Finance Industry, Edham has also been appointed to sit as a panel member of Asian International Arbitration Centre where Edham arbitrates on matters pertaining to Islamic Banking and Financial Services since 2013. In addition, he has served on numerous boards and foundation, including as independent non-executive board member of one the largest Islamic co-operative bank in Malaysia.
In addition, he has also been appointed and currently a Commissioner for Oaths since 2016..
Edham was appointed as Partner in 2007 and became one of the Joint Managing Partners of Abdul Rahman & Partners in 2017 and predominantly based in Kuala Lumpur.
In 2020, Edham has been selected to represent Malaysia by Fulbright Commission USA to participate in the 2020-2021 Fulbright Professional Exchange Program.
+603 2078 1888
+603 2078 1999
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
International Islamic University, Malaysia
University of Sheffield, United Kingdom
BPP Law School, London
PROFESSIONAL EDUCATION / CERTIFICATIONS
- Basic Certificate Course in Insurance and Takaful Broking (BCCITB) – Malaysia Insurance Institute
- Professional Certificate in Trade Financing - IAAP
- Certificate of Eligibility on Qualified Lawyers Transfer Scheme (QLTS) – Law Society UK
- Certificate in Oil & Gas Law – Brickfields Asia College, Kuala Lumpur
- Islamic Finance Qualified under CISI Level 3 Certificate in Islamic Finance (IFQ) – CISI, UK
- Chartered Member of Islamic Finance by Chartered Institute of Islamic Finance (“CIIF”) – Expected Completion Date: November 2020
- Certified Shariah Practitioner by Association of Shariah Advisor (“ASAS”) Pursuing Level 2 - Expected Completion Date: 2021 - 2022